Do you struggle with sleeping at night? Are you tired of being tired from lack of sleep? Here are some tips on how to manage sleep anxiety.
1. Set up a night time ritual or routine. It is important to have a night time ritual and routine to get your body used to getting ready to sleep. Go to bed at the same time every night. Going to bed at the same time every night helps you get used to a sleeping pattern.
2.Figure out a way to wind down that work for you. People wind down differently so it's important to figure out how you wind down. It can take time to wind down especially if you have sleep anxiety. Some examples of winding down is listening to relaxing music, meditating, practicing breathing techniques, or reading a book. People wind down differently so it's important to figure out how you wind down. It can take time to wind down especially if you have sleep anxiety.
3. Stop looking at screens for two hours before you want to go to sleep. Screens can keep you awake and interrupt your sleep.
4. Try not to snack or exercise two hours before sleeping. Eating or going to sleep before you sleep may have an impact on your sleep.
5. Set up your bedroom to be a place of sleep if possible. Some examples of setting your bedroom up to sleep could be not having a television in your room, keeping your bedroom tidy, using colors that are calming to decorate your bedroom. Try different things and see what works best for you.
6. Create an environment for maximum sleep. Keep your room at a temperature you enjoy..some like it cold or hot.
If you find that nothing you do works please schedule an appointment with your doctor and talk about your sleep anxiety. It is important to get enough sleep since not having enough sleep can negatively impact your mental health. Also remember to tell your therapist about your sleep anxiety if you have one and how it impacts your life.
Sleep anxiety cause you to think too much which can impact your sleep. It is important to get a good night sleep not only for your health but for your mental health as well.